ABORTION PILL INFORMATION
Medication abortion1,2 (also called the abortion pill) can be taken up to 70 days (10 weeks pregnant) after the start of your last menstrual period. The typical cost for the abortion pill near Newton, New Jersey is $500-$700.
- It’s called RU-486 and was approved by the FDA in 2000; it is also called a medical or chemical abortion.
- The pill is actually two drugs, mifepristone and misoprostol, taken in two separate doses.
- It is usually taken between 4-6 weeks but can be taken up to 11 weeks in most cases.
- It is not an option for people with certain medical conditions.
- The abortion pill is not the same as the emergency contraceptive, The Morning After Pill or Plan B One Step.
- For women who change their minds after taking just the mifepristone, it may be possible to rescue the pregnancy. For more information, see: The Abortion Pill Reversal.
How it works – The first medication, mifepristone, blocks progesterone. Progesterone is a hormone that is necessary for the pregnancy to survive. Without progesterone, the embryo eventually dies over the next several days. The second medication, misoprostol, causes bleeding and cramping, expelling the embryo and uterine contents.
Side effects – Cramping and bleeding are expected. Bleeding lasts an average of 9 to 16 days. Other possible side effects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, chills, weakness, dizziness and headache.
Complications – In 1% of women, bleeding is so heavy a surgical procedure called a D&C is required to stop the bleeding. Life-threatening infection has occurred in a small number of women who used the abortion pill protocol. Before taking any medication, you should discuss the risks with your doctor and know what to do if complications arise.
Follow-up – It is important to follow-up with your doctor 1 to 2 weeks after taking this medication regime to see if an abortion has occurred and to assess for complications.
PRE-ABORTION CONSULTATION – NO COST TO YOU
At your appointment, you will be provided a lab-quality pregnancy test first. If positive, you may be offered a free ultrasound. An ultrasound can confirm a viable pregnancy and estimate how far along in pregnancy you are. If you are considering abortion, an ultrasound will provide important information that will tell you more about your options. Abortion costs vary depending on how far along you are and the abortion procedure that you receive. Speak with our staff today about our ultrasound services.
UNPLANNED PREGNANCY CONFIRMATION
Confirm a viable pregnancy with an ultrasound before an abortion in New Jersey.
Pregnancy tests are not always conclusive. Pregnancy tests respond to a hormone released by a pregnant woman’s body called HCG. Although your HCG levels may be elevated, your pregnancy might not be viable, as 20+% of all pregnancies end in natural miscarriage10. Ultrasound is the most reliable method of detecting pregnancy viability.
This can answer three major questions:
- Is the pregnancy in the uterus?
- How far along you are?
- Is there a fetal heartbeat?
An ultrasound will provide important information that will tell you more about your options. Eligibility is required for ultrasound services.
Schedule a free and confidential appointment. Text 973-440-9974.
Information taken from U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2016). “Mifeprex Medication Guide.” U.S. Department of Health. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/drugs/postmarket-drug-safety-information-patients-and-providers/mifeprex-mifepristone-information
2. Viability is generally considered about 24 weeks from a woman’s LMP. See https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/overview-abortion-laws